Tuesday 2 March 2010

Raised Beds (part 1)

My sister wrote some lovely things about me last week but I thought it was best to introduce myself briefly in my own words. I like taking things apart and trying to put them back together again without too many bits left over. I like bumbling through the woods with my dog and mucking about in my boat on the Helford River. I think that it should only rain at night and snow is brilliant for short periods. I love what I do at Rocket Gardens and now that I’m settled at the farm, it’s time to start a veg patch.

I have an area just outside the office that’s 14 metres by 18 metres that I’d like to fill with 6 raised beds. I’m going to try and do everything quickly and on the cheap to prove that gardening doesn’t have to be expensive or all-consuming. I want to create a garden for all the rocket staff to use and enjoy that looks nice and is easy to maintain.



Over the weekend I went down to see a friendly chap at a local sawmill and picked up a load of waste timber to build my beds from. This is a much cheaper option than using railway sleepers or wood bought from the builders merchants, not only that it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside to be using something that no-one else wants.

During the coming week I’ll draw up a garden plan, mark out the beds and I’ll post about it next week so you can see how I got on.

Cheers and gone,

Rob



No comments: